Chalmette Refining sits on the historic site of the de la Ronde Plantation. Although the home burned to the ground in 1876, the remnants are preserved in the median of West St. Bernard Highway in front of the refinery’s Main Gate. The historic Oaks are maintained by the Refinery in cooperation with St. Bernard Parish Government.
In 1915 the land for the refinery was registered to Pelican Oil Company. Since then, the Refinery’s ownership changed hands numerous times. From Chalmette Refining’s humble beginnings as Pelican Oil Company to today, the Refinery has become an institution in St. Bernard and today is the parish’s largest taxpayer!